Summer is here! And while it may be tempting to spend every weekend lounging by the pool, the season is prime time for much-needed home improvement projects.
- Light up your landscape. Exterior lighting adds to your home's curb appeal while adding a measure of safety and security. Call in the professionals for a big project, or head to your local home improvement store for simple solutions. Try illuminating walkways, steps, trees, fences and other prominent landscape features.
- Refinish outdoor surfaces. Summer is an excellent time to refinish decks or scrape off old paint and add a fresh coat. Got cement or brick-and-mortar? Pressure wash patios and walkways to blast away years of dirt and grime.
- Remodel your kitchen. Summer is ideal for major kitchen renovations, as you could utilize your grill and move your meals outdoors. If your kitchen is already up-to-date, outdoor kitchens are all the rage.
- Install energy-efficient windows. Good windows can help seal in heat during winter and keep it out during summer, helping save you cash on electric and gas bills. Dual-pane windows increase energy efficiency and provide a barrier for noise. If new windows aren't in the budget, caulking is a simple project.
- Inspect your roof. Winter can be harsh on rooftops. Take advantage of summer for repairs or replacements. Check for damaged shingles, including cracks, tears or balding. Visit your attic to look for light shining through, leaks, water damage or mold. Ensure gutters and downspouts are properly attached—and it may be time to clean out debris and make sure they're draining.
Written by Cassie Westrate, staff writer for West Michigan Woman.